Skip to main content

To Serve or Not To Serve?

On Monday I officially started my job with Florida Hospital and I couldn't be happier!! I have been applying with this mega giant since BEFORE we moved here! Needless to say, it was definitely worth the wait! However, the thought of attending an orientation is usually welcomed with a groan, this job was no different. A business casual dress code, early morning alarm clock, the scramble around the house to get ready, and of course, the lovely Orlando morning traffic made this night owl a stressed out early bird! Walking into the complex where this was all held, I had a mixture of emotions. Is this the company I hope to spend the rest of my medical career with? Was the start time actually 7:30 and I'm late? Am I dressed appropriately? You know me, most of my wardrobe consists of work out garb and working flannel. This all came to a screeching halt when I met my facilitators. After being welcomed and congratulated, I entered the room of 30 or so people and offered a catered breakfast. Finally I could breathe!

From start to finish, the orientation was entertaining, engaging, and informative. There was never a dull moment! They are a faith-based company and prayed over us before the beginning and prior to lunch. We were presented information by multiple presenters, met VP's and directors who asked you what your story, your "why", and your goals. They motivated you and expressed their support. It was so refreshing and uplifting! This week is full of monotonous training and information which the staff is doing their absolute best to make it engaging. I have never been with a company that cares so much!! Really looking forward to the future and my career with Florida Hospital!
Back in scrubs makes me a happy girl!
One of the presentations we had today was addressing a servant's heart and the mind to serve. To serve or not to serve your patients, co-workers, and God. It is a person's everyday decision to serve in their role. If you aren't in the right "heart set", then the field isn't for you. This point hit a soft spot for me, I love serving whether it's as a waitress, a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, or as a medical assistant. I love to see someone be uplifted by what I am capable of helping them with. Every person has a "why", mine is to share my talents with those who absolutely need it; someone who is having that painful scenario unfold, that terrible diagnosis delivered, or that feeling of just needing human touch. I know why I missed the medical field, it is what I was born to do. This video below was originally shown to me when I was being oriented to a hospital for clinical in nursing school, they showed it again at orientation and it is a great reminder of what people may be going through.
..xobb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.