Skip to main content

We Don't Talk About That...

Mental health has never been a "hot topic" or a common dinner conversation, it is usually dusted under the rug and left to fester til another day.

Honestly, I'm writing this for my own mental health, rather my sanity. Since this virus took over our lives, being forced to live completely out of the norm has made mental health become a little bit more of a subject but not by much. Being bored and forced to be in the same house almost 24/7 can cause you to focus on things you wouldn't normally think about. This is also true for myself.

Up until now, I haven't really discussed with anyone but close friends and family what I have struggled with for a long time. To me, you talk about it and everyone will think you're looney. Well, I'm over it and tired of hiding it so here goes!

When I lived in Orlando, I had extremely high anxiety for the first time. I was basically alone full time miles away from my hometown. I tried so desperately to avoid facing what I knew was the underlying problem, my mom has anxiety as well and encourage me to speak to my PCP (primary care physician) about it. I did, was placed on an anti-anxiety med, felt a little bit for the most part. Fast forward, I choose to stop taking such medications because an ex convinced me I didn't need it. Bad decision.

Back to present day, I ended a hazardous, unhealthy relationships full of lies in the fall and move back in with my mom. Not my favorite but living in the area solo is very expensive, I also had three separate living arrangements fall through last minute within two month. Talk about stressful!! Then add a major family dilemma, throw in a change of work schedule/income, and a worldwide pandemic; you see where this is headed. The stress was overwhelming, I found myself drinking alot more and being extremely hard on myself. Like who is 31, single (never engaged or married), no children, not content with my career, living with her mother? I felt like a total failure.

In January, I started a relationship with a sweet man; he is a straight shooter. Well, one good thing is that he isn't afraid to tell you like it is, this can be good and bad. The things he brought to my attention gave me that infamous "ah ha" moment that feels like a mental truck hit you in the gut. I restarted my anxiety med after alot of thought and began my research. See, what I didn't tell you was that when I went to said PCP is that he diagnosed me with OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder. I was completely shocked as I thought that was someone who has to turn a light switch on and off a certain amount of times before relaxing. After a few days of reading articles and researching the disorder, I learned there are many subtypes of OCD unlike the one portrayed in the sentence before.


I was obsessing over every little detail of every little thing, overthinking and over analyzing everything until I stressed myself into oblivion. After learning all I have, I feel better and can finally feel myself relaxing. It does certainly help that my living situation has greatly improved! But now I am starting to learn ways to control my anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Basically, I learned that mental health is greatly misunderstood and there is nothing to be ashamed of, alot more people have what I have but they've never been diagnosed. With all this said, I am glad I was forced to face the truth about myself. Taking deep breaths and learning to relax, not control every situation. No, it won't be overnight, it is something I will have to continuously think about but it is worth it. Like I said, I wrote this for myself to cope and treat what is going on with my own mental health. But if it helped you, I'm glad! Don't be ashamed, seek help, and be open to different treatments!


..xo diabetic blonde



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.