Skip to main content

Putting the "Blonde" in Budgeted Blonde

Warning: this is the first of a many part post!

I recently I went from a boring brunette to a blonde bombshell! Prior to moving to Orlando, I went from salon blonde to a box brown to keep my hair low maintenance until I could find a stylist locally. After a year of babe asking when I'm going back to my blonde locks and me not-so-secretly missing it, I decided to start researching what it would take to get back to the color I loved! I went from blogs to YouTube, Instagram hair sensations and straight up old school internet research before gaining the confidence to doing it at home, by myself! Eek!!



I subscribe to Elle Bangs, an amazing stylist from Cali to learn about the biggest do's and don't's about bleaching at home. Some YouTubers are a little flaky so I had to weed out the crazies and learn who was a reliable source! After all this, about a week of convincing myself I could actually do this, and about a bottle of red zin, I was ready!!



I started with Clairol's bleach wash, I knew that the first time would end up with a brassy gross result so I braced myself and refused to take pictures. I also took Elle's advice and purchased Wella's T11 and T18 toners, 1:1 parts in a mixing cup and putting half back in the bottle for the next time I bleached. I was fully aware that this would be the first of a two part bleaching process which stressed me a tad. I have bra-strap length hair and even though it's thin, there's a lot of it! The cashier at Sally's overheard what I was planning and threw in a handful of argon mask conditioning treatments, thanks darlin'! They worked amazing!!

Things that I learned prior to starting:
  • DO NOT wash your hair morning of, I actually did mine the 3rd day after shampooing
  • DO NOT comb your hair excessively, this can trigger oils which prevents the bleach to stick
  • DO all the research until you are 100% comfortable, once bleach is applied it's applied! 
  • BE CONFIDENT in your decision! Bleach is pretty darn permanent but the result can be gorgeous!
  • ALWAYS have a glass of wine poured and ready for the stressful moments, the initial anxiety is quite overwhelming
To be continued...

xobb 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thirty-Onederful!

Today I turned 31, it was a different birthday vibe than I usually have. Typically, I get really into my plans and can't wait for the day to come. Maybe it is because our plans changed drastically suddenly or because of the imminent threat of the hurricane looming in the back of my mind. But today ended up much better than originally anticipated! Of course, I needed the birthday Snapchat filter! Our plans were to go to Croom which is a motocross park ran by the state. The property used to be phosphate mines in Brooksville, it has since been used for motocross celebs and locals for enjoyment. Last minute, literally 5 hours before we were supposed to head north, the boyfriend tells me that due to the pain in the rump hurricane barreling towards the east coast they are closing the park. Talk about blonde emoji facepalm, ugh!! Now, I do not ride a dirt bike, heck I barely have the coordination to walk and chew gum at the same time. But I enjoy disconnecting, hiking, and relaxin...

We Don't Talk About That...

Mental health has never been a "hot topic" or a common dinner conversation, it is usually dusted under the rug and left to fester til another day. Honestly, I'm writing this for my own mental health, rather my sanity. Since this virus took over our lives, being forced to live completely out of the norm has made mental health become a little bit more of a subject but not by much. Being bored and forced to be in the same house almost 24/7 can cause you to focus on things you wouldn't normally think about. This is also true for myself. Up until now, I haven't really discussed with anyone but close friends and family what I have struggled with for a long time. To me, you talk about it and everyone will think you're looney. Well, I'm over it and tired of hiding it so here goes! When I lived in Orlando, I had extremely high anxiety for the first time. I was basically alone full time miles away from my hometown. I tried so desperately to avoid facing what I...

Hey There 2020!

Oh 2019, what a year! I have to admit, this year taught me a ton, left me speechless at times (I know, stunning right?!), and with some gains as well as losses! I learned how to love myself and see who I am alone, I have ended relationships that were overdue to be ended, and I became a stronger coach with Beachbody! I gained a booty thanks to my amazing workout program and learned how to eat properly! 2019 gave me the strength I needed to end a toxic relationship that was disguised as something much different. The year had it's ups and downs, as does every year, but this one in particular helped me learn what I like and where my future goals lie. I experienced things I thought I wanted and realized where I am heading is exactly where I need to be. Now that that's over, reminiscing can be fun but I am ready for a new chapter! Oh 2020, do I have something planned for you! I am entering this year on a very different foot, starting today with organizing my goals and strate...