Skip to main content

The Budgeted Blonde, MD-DNP

Happy Friday Eve!!

Finally, it's my weekend! In celebration, I treated myself to my favorite Mexican, glass of Apothic, and catching up on the DVR. Recently, I heard a commercial on Pandora for a new medical drama on NBC, Heartbeat. Normally, I am really skeptic of these since I have a medical background, am working toward a medical career and they can sometimes be unrealistic! I worked for 5 years in a medical office in my hometown, during the time I specialized in OB/GYN, pediatrics, internal medicine, and phlebotomy. With this, I have always tried but failed to become obsessed with any medical drama. I recorded this show on a whim, especially since they described the main character to be a surgeon who plays by her own rules, my kind of girl!!




Watching this pilot, I slowly fell in love with this character; her sass and wittiness is similar to mine so it wasn't really that difficult, plus she's also a blonde!! The first episode was (SPOILER ALERT) her separating middle aged Siamese twins attached at the shoulder who each has different but equally terminal-if-not-treated medical problems. The drama was real, medical aspect was on point and I am now officially obsessed! It has already joined the weekly DVR schedule! Not to sound too commercial, but it's Tuesday nights!!!!

I think I'll use this post to explain my goals and plan for my own medical career. As you can tell by the title of this, I eventually want the letters MD behind my name. I have worked with some of the most amazing physicians and they truly inspired me to follow my heart. Originally, I began my medical education with going to EMT school; during this they have you do time both in the emergency room and on the actual ambulance. Let's just say, I loved the EMT's I worked with but it wasn't for me. The ER, however, provided a completely different experience. I helped an RN and physician with a stroke patient. At the time, it was the scariest yet most exciting most in my life. The RN pulled me aside and asked why I was in EMT school, fearing I'd messed up I managed to mumble something about wanting to work in the medical field. She's exploded with a huge smile and said, you are meant to be a nurse. I felt something inside me relax, because I wasn't in trouble for something I'd done wrong but also because someone had finally given my 20 year old self something to work towards!

After this, I applied to multiple local nursing programs, got denied but finally was admitted to a private college program. During which, 3 months out from graduation, I was hospitalized and diagnosed with type one diabetes. This heartbreaking discovery only made my stubborn ass more motivated which then lead to my decision to jump right back into full time nursing class and working nights at the hospital. I can honestly say it was the worst decision I'd ever made. Not only did I fail, but I also become really ill with a severe kidney infection and forced out of the program. I was devastated!!! This was exactly the career I had passion for and now, the major step achieving it was swept right out from beneath me.

IV Class, about 9 months before diagnosis
It has been almost 3 years since diagnosis, over 3 years since that terrible day and I have decided to return and finish my nursing degree. Only this time, with even bigger goals. I am hoping to attend a program that will allow me to sit for my nursing license in 1 year and finish with my bachelor's in nursing. I want to then continue until I have my doctorate! These dreams are massive, terrifying and honestly, could easy scare me enough to quit. But that girl who fail is explosively motivated to have the dream career I know I can achieve! I may not have the highest GPA in the world, but I know God's plan for me isn't nearly as finished as I believed it was that day I failed out of nursing school!


It is truly the worst moment to realize you were so close to your goal and now you are restarting, but this time, it means so much more! I hope to start summer classes shortly, hopefully I don't gross y'all out with medical nerdiness!

The Future..xobb, MD!

Comments

  1. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. You are too stubborn to be a quitter, which is why they had to kick you out last time. Don't allow temporary setbacks to become permanent failures. If He puts it on your heart, then He will give you the tools and strength to accomplish anything. Proud of you for getting back in the game. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! This means so much to me, follow my journey! Xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.