Skip to main content

Seeing the Light at the End of the Tunnel...Almost...

You've all read my story on my dream career and how my educational path didn't go quite the way I wanted it to 4 years ago. Well, as a very stubborn and strong headed woman, I am sick and tired of the almost. As of current, I work as a medical assistant, not a nurse, for a dermatology office. This isn't my dream job and definitely not what I pictured four years ago while I was starting the adult 2 section of nursing school. I had just gotten out of the hospital a few days prior and I was determined to continue on my way to my dream career. I guess what did not know at the time was that I am not in control of my life or the plans for my life.
Well that was then and this is now, as I am taking the appropriate steps on this new educational path I am creating for myself. I was interested a local LPN program recently thinking the best way to get to my goal of becoming an RN would be through bridging to the university here. One mishap after another and a hurricane (thanks Irma) and things didn't fall together as I would have hoped. I spend Friday pretty bummed and was reminded Sunday night that I am just not where I want to be! Today as I was thinking of what I could do before the next LPN semester begins in May, I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone and swallowed my pride at my previous nursing school to see if I would be eligible for readmission. This is a huge thing for me, luckily the advisor remembered me and was so excited that I had chosen to come back and finish. Now I get to wait for the decision of whether or not in January I will continue on this seemingly never ending journey to complete my degree in nursing.

Not knowing is a torture all in itself. Waiting for a decision from a perfect stranger who doesn't know me, my work ethic, my goals, or my experience. It is the absolute worst! I pray and hope that in one year from now, I'll be starting the final semester of nursing school to become a registered nurse. Could all this change in an instant? Heck yes! But, as usual, I am trusting in God to lead me down the appropriate path. From moving home, trusting my gut, losing my littlest love and friends left and right, I have learned that this life isn't predictable at all!
So I am determined to achieve my goal of becoming a registered nurse. In the past, I have gotten ahead of myself by setting goals that I was not in the place to be setting. One step at a time as my mom would say. If I get a positive phone call tomorrow confirming I can reapply, I'll be ecstatic but it will bring a whole new set of obstacles in itself. I know all these changes in my plans have made me stronger, given me confidence in my trade, and made me appreciate things even more than I did four years ago. Here's to the future and it's unpredictability. To be continued..
..xobb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.