Skip to main content

South in your Mouth

This morning, like every Saturday morning, I get up with coffee-induced strength and make my sweetheart breakfast. He's a lover of pancakes and sausage but ever since we moved in together, I have been slowly expanding his palette. I probably have one of the pickiest men in the South! I think I've complained about this before, I'm sure some other ladies can agree!
Well, our house has been quite a whirlwind and so this morning I wanted to make a hearty breakfast, with the cold front coming in, today definitely called for it! Bradley recently joined the Eustis Gun Club so he wanted to be up bright and early to get down there. The things I will do for this man! I tell ya! However, there is always time for a Saturday afternoon nap so I got up after morning snuggles and him obviously turning the heat on (let's face it, I wasn't getting up when it was 64° in the house, he's a smart man!). I decided to make homemade biscuits and sausage gravy! Now, I know most Southern women are so proud of their biscuits, I personally don't have the patience and I am one patient belle! So I cut corners in that department and get the Pillsbury biscuits with layers in buttermilk. He doesn't know the difference, he actually requests layers, and I save money and time so it's a win-win!

This is my yummy, stick to your ribs, cold Saturday morning biscuits and sausage gravy recipe!

Shopping list:
Odom's Tennessee Pride Country Sausage (I cut this in half for us since there's just 2 of us!)
Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour
Pillsbury Layer Buttermilk Biscuits
Milk

Now, notice I didn't put quantities? That would be because I eyeball all of the amounts. Making gravy is a technique that I have learned takes a lot of trial and error. Add a little flour, stir, add a little milk, stir, let simmer. You get the idea.

So, you want to brown you sausage in a frying pan, I do not use oil to coat the pan first because I have learned it makes the sausage gravy super oily no matter how much I try. I will take a stick of butter, normally I have one I the fridge already cut from something else. I take the end of it and coat the pan surface with butter. Just once, you don't need a ton! Sausage is a fatty meat, hence why the doctor will yell at you for this one, but that just means it makes its own grease. The biscuits take about 15 minutes so I preheat the oven and start them as soon as possible. This DOES NOT have to take a long time!! Who honestly wants to stand at a stove on a weekend morning...or any morning for that matter!?

Once the sausage is completely browned, sprinkle a handful of flour on the sausage and slowly stir while adding the milk. The idea for quantity is to add the amount of milk for how much gravy you need. If I had to guess, I probably use about 2 cups for us two for a good size portion.


Keeping stirring the mixture until it thickens. Once you've reached the consistency you desire, cover and put on low. The longer it is on the heat, the thicker it will get. Don't be afraid to experiment! I will warn that this seasoned flour can get a little spicy along with the spices in the sausage. So if you dont't like seasoning then you may want to try an alternative sausage. Keep the flour! It is the best!!!!
I hope this becomes a weekend breakfast staple in your home for your loved ones to enjoy!

..xobb
posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.