Skip to main content

My Oh My, It's Strawberry Pie!

There is just something about my mama's cooking that made a normal Wednesday feel like a special occasion. Growing up, Spring was signified by a surprise of two strawberry pies in the fridge after school. One for us, one for a family member, sometimes three or four more just because my mom loves gifting with desserts!

Lately, I have been dying for my mom's strawberry pie. Mainly because she flaunted that she made some the other day and it's all I can think about. I haven't had it since my diagnosis and I really hated the fact that the recipe contains 1 cup of sugar AND strawberry jello. Definitely a no-go for me! So I made it low-carb! Unfortunately, Brad was not a fan, but that just means more for me! I will acknowledge that the change the "diet" products was tough but now that I'm used to it, most things are just too sweet. I am looking forward to devouring this pie all week long!!
Right outta mama's notebook!
I substituted Stevia for the sugar, it measures the exact same, and sugar-free jello. Everything else remained the same. Side note: Cool Whip has way less carbs than I originally thought it did! Win win!!
Cut the strawberries long ways and bake your crust!
I had thrown out my pie box, yes I use Pillsbury pie crust in the roll form (work smarter not harder). I text mom to figure out how long to bake the pie crust and at what temp...she didn't know. I was literally speechless, this is abnormal for her but even seasoned mama's use instructions sometimes! So, I googled it, screenshot it and sent it to her for "future reference", lol!
Inside jokes with your mama are the best!
Mix the dry ingredients  

Add 2 cups of boiling water while stirring on low until it looks similar to this, or in my mom's words "ckear"
Let it cool before adding the strawberries to the mixture
Coat those bad boys!
Make sure the strawberries are even and put it in the fridge to set. I put mine in for about 2 hours and it was perfect but out fridge is super cold! So maybe 3 hours just to be safe!!
I always add Cool Whip on top, it just makes it that much better!
I am really glad I am able to tweak recipes a bit to make them healthy for me. I have avoided some stable traditional desserts and foods because of the amount of carbs, now I am confident that I can change more! They don't taste exactly the same and anyone who says otherwise is lying! But at least I can get a taste of my childhood! Thank you to my mom for always being a phone call away for a million questions and for making us help her in the kitchen growing up! Never knew how right she was when she'd respond to our whining with, "you are going to need this one day". Oh how right she was!

..xobb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic Like it's Hot!

Oh Florida summers... Goodness, is it hot?! Growing up in Fort Myers, you lived for Disney Original Movie marathons, ice cream, pool day and that rainy 3pm nap. That was life for us! After living in Central Florida for a little bit, I will say there is no better cure my Summer woes except for being in Fort Myers. Don't get me wrong, Mt Dora was beautiful but there is just something about my hometown! This week was the second at the new dermatology job, I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo. I have been in the medical field 10 years, but this specialty has a language all it's own! It's hard to keep your confidence, this position is more hands on involving anesthesia and sutures, but I'll get there! I will say though, I truly despise being the "new girl". Everyone asks the same question, patients and peers are a tad nervous since you're a stranger and all they have to go off of for your experience is your word. It's intimidating but adds to

Slap on a Little Lipstick and Pull Yourself Together!

It's hump day!  Halfway to the weekend, which usually means nothing to me since I work at a restaurant in a massive theme park! However, this weekend I have one of my closest friends coming to visit and I couldn't be more excited!! She was behind the motivation for me to start this blog, so yall be thankful! Heading into work, I wanted to post just a little something! First off, this blog is means more to me than just an outlet to express myself. It is becoming a way of releasing confidence that I've built up within myself in the last few years. I used to be the girl who threw on whatever slightly matched and didn't give a second glance at my roots or makeup! If I put eyeliner on, I would stun my beau at the time! Since then, I've grown to love myself and learn what makes me feel beautiful, now I want to share that knowledge! Quite wise, haha that's literally laughable! But if some person is taking time out of their day to read this, then I must be

I'm Made of Glitter, Water, and Anxiety

So over the last few years I have struggled with admitting and treating my own personal demon of anxiety. I have many friends who have a similar struggle and agree that prior to becoming it's prey, we thought anxiety was a total joke. I mean, when I would witness an anxiety attack I would just think, 'come on, pull it together sister!'. But now that I tend to deal with it on the daily, it is a very real monster. To have your own brain betray you as such is a difficult thing to grasp. Going from a perfectly rational person to trying to prevent anything and everything that could possibly happen, you look at yourself and think 'jeez! What a nutcase!'. Treating my anxiety wasn't an easy task, especially since I began treating mine at the end of a relationship and while being completely alone. It was a daily struggle and I really didn't feel like anyone would understand without being judgemental. I also used substances as my release, we all know I love my wine.